Monday, January 21, 2013

Shoo fly, don't bother me!

Since I wrote last, I feel like I have spent more time swatting flies then ever in my life! They are so annoying! They were not too bad at the Vintage, but everywhere else I have been, they have been horrible.

After I accepted my team award at the Vintage, I drove 3 hours southwest to a town called Picton- a very small town without much going on. I was exhausted when I arrived, so after I was greeted by my house family, Marie and Greg, I hit the hay and passed out! They next morning I woke up quite early to play another practice round with Ginny and Dave at Anitill Park. If you have seen the news about the record setting heat in Australia, I can attest that it is the truth! It was such a scorcher that we played as fast as we could. Later that day at the shoot out, I almost won, but another girl hit it within a foot of the pin and took the W. 

Afterwards, we picked up some ingredients for chicken bruschetta and sweet potatoes, and cooked and chatted about how nice it was to experience Australia as the the average Australian would.  Because we have been in the country so long, we feel as if we are here as locals, not on "holiday". The next morning I was able to sleep in because I did not tee off until 12. I played well through another intensely hot day, but I boogied the last two holes. I finished three over for the day, but I have the feeling that things are definitely falling into place!  I then followed Ginny and Dave as we drove to our next location. We headed about an hour southeast to a town called Bowrai. We were hungry and decided to pull into a random restaurant. It was an interesting experience as my dish did not turn out right, and I felt as if my waitress was from the move Twilight. 

After dinner I headed to my next host family, Alan and Robyn's house. It was a beautiful house and I could tell I would get a good rest there. I went to bed early because my new motto for the 6 weeks has been "beat the heat," which I was going to do by teeing off early in the morning. By 8:30 in the morning the heat was brutal, and the flies were UNBEARABLE... They flew up in my nose, in my ear, and the best part, in my mouth. Luckily, we were able to ride in carts all day and we escaped them sometimes. For lunch, we went to a great local cafe, and I had a delicious chicken pot pie. Then we went home and washed up and headed out for some sightseeing around town. Alan and Robyn took all of us to a nice winery, and also showed us to the oldest "pub"(hotel) in Berrima that is in Australia.  Bowralis is also the hometown of the Cricket hall of fame. Alan and Robyn then treated me and the other billet who is staying with us to a nice dinner. I went to bed early yet again because I had a 7:20 tee time.

I woke up at the crack of dawn and headed to the course. Experiencing some of the craziest weather I have ever seen, I woke up to 60 degree and misting when just the day before it was over 100 degrees. Although the weather was not great, I had the best round of golf since I have been here. I had a great group and I also shot 1 under. I relaxed the rest of the day until I had to go back to the shootout. After heading home, Robyn made us a great chicken and pasta dish for dinner with a passion fruit dessert. Passion fruit is something new that I found out I loved! I am excited to play in the morning and hope to report back with some good news!















No comments:

Post a Comment