Tuesday, January 8, 2013

May The Odds Ever Be In Your Favor

I began this seemingly never-ending journey from my hometown of Atlanta, to my replacement home for the next six weeks, Sydney Australia with a pit-stop in LA. Thankfully, I had the company of my good friend Seth on that portion to keep me awake. Upon arrival, Seth's sister Rachel picked us up and swung us through In-N-Out Burger for a quick but delicious meal before I had to leave she and Seth, and journey fifteen hours across the Pacific!

Stepping onto the plane took my breathe away! Although I was riding in coach, I felt as if I was getting first class treatment. There was no shortage of room at my seat, and I had a personal entertainment system with access to any movie, television show, or game I could imagine. Before I knew it they served me with a surprisingly tasty chicken and rice dinner, which I used as a pre-sleep meal. I fell asleep shortly after and the next thing I know I was being served waffles! I guess I slept until breakfast! I then squeezed in one more movie before it was time to land. That flight wasn't too bad after all!

After the customs agents meticulously checked every speck of dirt from my golf clubs and cleaned my golf shoes, (well, they did need it) it was on to the rental cars! eeek! I had a slight hiccup first because the phone I planned to used wasn't working, so I had to buy a new one in the airport. After I had working communication, I called my fellow golfer and friend Ginny and her boyfriend, Dave, who told me me to drive over to their apartment as they were headed to the Sydney aquarium that day. I had to very quickly adapt to driving on the other side of the road, which was super frightening. Let's just say my first drive did not go flawless, as I ran up the curb about two minutes in! Hopefully the rental car agents are forgiving about rim scratches! I finally made it to Ginny's apartment, and the three of us walked to the aquarium. We started reflecting and we both couldn't believe we were in AUSTRALIA together!

Strolling around Australia seemed like I was in a big city in America, the only difference being the amazing accents, as well as record-setting temperatures of 104 degrees Fahrenheit! I guess I won't be wearing that jacket I packed! We spent about two hours in the aquarium, and my favorite part was this underground tunnel where you could see all kinds of sharks, manatees, stingrays, and large fish! Ginny and Dave had to leave for golf after the aquarium, and I was left on my own to explore Sydney. Since my goal all day was to stay up all day so I could sleep well that night, I decided to keep touring the city. I decided to take the ferry across Sydney Harbor to get to the Taronga Zoo. On the ferry ride I was able to see the infamous and breathtaking Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge! Upon completion of the ferry ridge, I took a gondola up to the top of the zoo. The view was beautiful, as it is overlooking Darling Harbour. I then braved the 104 degree heat and toured the zoo, with the best part being the ability to see giraffes, gorillas, elephants, and last but not least, the kangaroos! After the zoo, my feet were killing me! When I arrived back to Darling Harbour I went to a local Starbucks to pass some time before heading home. Then my driving skills had an opportunity to redeem themselves.....but unfortunately they didn't! I pulled out of the parking deck and drove the WRONG WAY down the street! After correcting that first faulty move, it took me about thirty minutes to find my way onto the freeway, where I still was not sure if I was going the right way! Talk about scary! Luckily it was so hot outside that the radio was playing a song (three times to be exact) that I could jam along to: Nelly's "Hot in Herre". After a terrifying 45 minute drive, I finally made it home where I could relax, have a quick bite to eat, and head to bed! I will be surprised if my dreams are not filled with planes, Australian roadways, kangaroos, and sharks!

I am so thankful to be here in Australia! I hope you enjoy my blog and thank you for your support from wherever you may be!








1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having fun down unda. Good luck this week and I hope you are taking a cab to the course!

    ReplyDelete