Saturday, March 2, 2013

Going out with a Bang!

After spending some quality time in Sydney I was ready to head down to 13 Beach, which is just south of Melbourne and play my last event. I was excited to spend time in Melbourne because all of the great things I have heard about it, and I also will be meeting up with Ginny and Dave. Before I left I met back up with my caddy, Mick, and went and played golf at this golf course. It was a newly designed Greg Norman course, which was super nice and we had a blast playing on it. When we got back to the house, I packed up my things and Mick drove me to the airport the next morning to catch my flight to Melbourne. When I arrived I met up with Ginny and Dave and we headed to Ocean Grove, about an hour and a half drive, to where we were staying. We were hosted by Janine and Brian and their son Lachlan. Janine had a lamb dinner cooked and ready for us, but we were so tired that we had to pass.

The next morning we played one of the two courses of the event, called Beach course. It was the tougher of the two courses, so we took our time and took really good notes. After the day of golfing, we headed back to the house to relax. Dave was going back toward Melbourne to play a qualifier for the tournament, and Janine and Brian decided to cook Ginny and I an Aussie BBQ. We spent the evening eating the delicious food and having great conversation. The next day, Ginny, Janine, and I biked into town to have lunch and then go to the beach. We had a great day boogie boarding and laying out by the beautiful ocean. The water was crystal clear and there was a chilly wind in the air. Finally it got to hot to handle and we decided to head back to hang out with the family. It was so fun to hang out with them because they were such golf enthusiasts! We went to bed with a full belly and a huge smile on our face.

The next day we played the second course, Creek. The weather did a 180 and went from 95 to 65 degrees in one day. It was cold, rainy, and very windy. Because of the weather we ended up just driving around and looking at the course, and got a little warm up in. We were hoping for better weather the next day so we could go see the Great Ocean Road, which is one of the top 5 things to do in Australia. It consists of hours of mind blowing views and crystal clear scenery. We didn't drive the whole thing, but we drove about an hour and a half up the road to Lorne. Janine told us to go there and have lunch because it was a great town with a good beach. Unfortunately, the weather was crummy so we just walked around and had lunch, and decided to head back. We stopped at Bells beach on the way back, since we wanted to see one of the best surfing beaches in Australia. We got into bed early later that night, as Ginny and I had early tee times. I was ready to finish my trip out with a bang!

For this tournament, I decided to caddy for myself. I got off to a great start and for the first day I shot two under. I missed a lot of opportunities and knew I could make them up the next day. I ended up shooting 5 under on the second day, my lowest round as a professional! I was pumped, but still a little nervous because on the third day we were going to be playing a tougher course, but it was going to be fun because we would be alternating tee times with the mens professionals playing in the Vic open. My goal for the tournament was to shoot under par everyday because I haven't ever achieved that before. I fought hard the next day, and was able to birdie the 18th to finish one under. I wasn't thrilled, but knew I gave it my best effort and was looking forward to the last round. I had never shot under par in 3 rounds for a pro event, so this was another first! I was a little nervous the next day, but was more excited. I stayed confident throughout the day and shot two under, which put me at ten under for the whole tournament. T14 finish and lowest I have ever shot in my life! It was a great cap to my trip.

After the tournament, I had to rush to the airport to catch a flight to fly back to Sydney, as I was playing New South Whales in the morning. NSW is the 4th best golf course in Australia, and I was dying to play on it before I left. The course is situated right on the east coast of Australia, and the views were breathtaking. I think I spent more time snapping photos than concentrating on golf! It was an amazing course and I felt to blessed to have the opportunity to play it!

I spent the next day preparing for the long journey home, and in the morning, I said my goodbyes, packed up the car, and headed to the airport. I was glad I left way early because it ended up being a two hour process to get back. I sadly returned the car that I had for two months, returned my bags, and checked in and headed to the gate. I was beginning to get a little sick which made the flight last longer than I would have liked. I was able to sleep a little, and also watched four movies. I finally made it back, after a short layover in LA. I was so happy to see my dad when I made it to the Atlanta airport.

I can't thank everyone enough who I met while in Australia, as well as the people who made it possible for me to have this amazing opportunity! It was a trip of a lifetime and I have learned so much about myself and my golf game! I am so ready to take my momentum from the last tournament into the season here in the states.

Thank you everyone and God Bless!

Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment